Monday, February 23, 2009

Mardi Gras! Carnevale!



Carnevale, Sicilian style!  We were pretty tired after another home loss, but some of us still wanted to go to Sciacca, a city 20 minutes away, to see the festivities.  It had similar ideas in comparison to the floats, but people were dressed up in costumes more like Halloween.  It's much more of a family-oriented holiday with schools holding their own costume parties for the little kids.  There were all types of vendors down the streets, and when the floats went slowly down the streets the spectators were walking in front of or behind the float.  We weren't tapered off from walking in the street like American parades for the obvious reason that they weren't throwing anything to fight about!  
We ate some Italian sausage sandwiches, took a bunch of pictures, and just walked all the way around the center of the city where everyone was.  I wore a mask and "Jester" hat in Mardi Gras colors to more represent the home-town holiday.  Obviously, the best place to go in Italy for these days is Venice.  Elena asked me how New Orleans was for Mardi Gras, and I told her it was the best in the world!  Kiki argued that the best was Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.  I held off my argument until I looked more into the situation.  The Latino Mardi Gras does look seriously amazing, so maybe she's right, not sure.  I've yet to see New Orleans Mardi Gras completely!!!  Oh well, the second best in the world ain't shabby...  

No comments:

Post a Comment