Friday, November 6, 2009

A Victory within a Loss


Wow, what a high I was on last night. And I'm not talking about being on anything because of the stomach flu I had this week, but a natural, just happy with the world type of high. We played against a Russian team (which is one of the top teams in the world when they have Cappie Pondexter, arguably the best player in the world healthy and playing) who were supposed to kill us even at our house missing a couple of players. I think they had two or three players over 6' 3" tall, and they were just taller at every other position as well. I wasn't expecting to play a whole lot (remember last Euroleague game? 15 min...) however, a normal starter was out due to the flu, so someone else started in her place and I came off the bench. I had an ok first half, and then I blew up offensively in the second half. I finished with 16 which may as well be 30 against almost any team in the Italian league. We were winning most of the game as well, but in the last few minutes they made a run, and we lost a post player to an injury, and we ended up losing by 5 or so....
Our crowd was fantastic as usual. One knew it was going to be a great game when that person saw the mascot battle 30 minutes before the game. Their mascot was a fox (they actually had fans there!) and our's is a dolphin. The fox had a blow horn like many of our fans, and was going around having little beeping battles while we were warming up. Well, dolphins don't have hands much less opposable thumbs, so what were we to do??? Well, the "delfino" poked a hand out of course! Our president gave him his blow horn and the battle continued.
I'm really proud of our team and how we fought. We showed that if we can play with this team, we should be able to play together and battle against pretty much anyone. And I had the opportunity to show that I can play with some of the best as well... on national TV :) Obviously, I hope we always have a healthy team, but God was looking out for me to have this chance to shine. Now that other teams may be expecting me, the job gets a bit more difficult! Gotta keep working hard :)

No comments:

Post a Comment