
We had a scrimmage Saturday night against a division A2 team, and won by like 50 something like we should have. It felt great to get out there and reap some of the benefits of practicing for 9 straight days! Obviously mistakes were made, but our goals were to play like a team and take high percentage shots, which I think we did.
Probably the best thing our coach could have said was said in the locker room before the game. When I shoot totally relaxed, I'm tough to beat, so my personal goal was to be calm through all the excitement of our first "official" game with the team. Our coach, Roberto, said that the new people (only me and another foreigner were new and actually playing) didn't have to show them anything. Meaning, we didn't need to feel the pressure in performing for them to demonstrate what we can do. We are here on this team for a reason. I felt like weights were lifted off my shoulders already in a sense. We were able to go out there and give the dedicated fans a little taste of what we should be able to accomplish this year.
It was crazy after the game. People want to take pictures of us, they want to talk to us after the games, and that's not even the reporters! I had over 50 people from Taranto "befriend" me on facebook this summer before I even arrived. These people are die hard, bleed red and blue (Taranto's colors, of course) fans. Now, they aren't in the numbers of purple and gold fans, or soccer fans in this country, but I can't keep track of everyone I've met thus far already. It's a cool feeling, but something not to get caught up with.
Ok, I got the internet finally, so things should get a little more stable and constant. We play against the Italian National Under-19 Men's team tomorrow evening. That should be interesting... Then we also have a scrimmage against one of the Italian Div. A1 teams Saturday, I believe. And then the two American guards should be arriving next Monday or so. Good stuff to look forward too :)

No comments:
Post a Comment